Medha Sukta

S. V. Subrahmanian svskotra at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 5 07:13:24 CDT 2000

OM.

Just as a side thought, I recently came to know the deeper meaning of the
word medhA Sakthi from a discourse by Swami Dayananda Saraswati.  I was all
along thinking that medhA referred to the retention capacity of the mind.
But I heard more enlightened meaning about medhA.

medhA is retention capacity only in part.  It primarily refers to the
capacity of the mind to hold a topic in consideration, and to hold all the
facets related to the topic simultaneously and hence be able to look at it
from all angles, and while analyzing from a particular angle, not letting
other facets of the topic fall off from attention.  And added to that, is
needed the capacity to hold the topic as long as is needed without getting
distracted, without getting tired and without losing interest, till a
resolution is reached for the topic under consideration.

All these together constitute medhA Sakthi, an essential ingredient for
Vedantic analysis/thought.  My the Lord provide us all with enough medhA
Sakthi to understand Vedanta.

OM Tat Sat.