vidyA.m shuddhA.mcha buddhi.m kamalajadayite satvara.m dehimahyam ..6..

Aravind Krishna seeksha at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 6 23:12:09 CDT 2000

mAtastvapAdapadma.m navidhikusumaiH pUjita.m jAtubhaktyA
gAtu.m naivAhamIshe jaDamatiralasastvadguNAn divyapadyaiH .
mUke sevAvihIne.apyanupamakaruNAmarbhake.ambeva kR^itvA
vidyA.m shuddhA.mcha buddhi.m kamalajadayite satvara.m dehimahyam ..6..

When we act as prescribed in scriptures, need less to say we would be
rewarded. But that does not demand or depend on the qualities of the donor.
The donor gets an opportunity to show his compassion only when the recipient
is incapable. Hence approaching the almighty expressing meekness is a
traditional practice in devotional hymns.

mAtaH bhaktyA tva pAda padmam vidhi kusumaiH jAtu na pUjita.m

O mother! Not once did I worship thy lotus feet with devotion as prescribed.

archana.m is prescribed as an important means for purification in shastra-s.

bilvapatraishchakrarAje yo.archayetlalitAmbikAm .
padmairvA tulasIpuShpairebhirnAmasahasrakaiH..
sadyaH prasAda.m kurute tasya simhAsaneshvarI..

For those who indulge in archana ‘devi sadhyaH prasAda.m kurte ‘ devi
rewards them well.
Due to neglect I did not engage in offering fragrant flows to thy lotus feet
with devotion ‘bhaktyA tva pAda padmam vidhi kusumaiH na pUjita.m’.

Ishe alasa jaDa matiH aham tvat guNAn divya padyaiH naiva gAtu.m.

A dull idiot like me is incapable of singing thy glory with decorative
hymns.

Devi is often referred as ‘sAma gAna shiraH kampini’, ‘saN^gIta priyA’ and
so on. She delights in melodious hymns.

bhavAni stotuM tvaaM prabhavati chaturbhirna vadanaiH
prajAnAmIshAnastripuramathanaH paJNchabhirapi .
na shhaDbhiH senAnIrdashashatamukhairapyahipatiH
tadAnyeshhAM keshhAM kathaya kathamasminnavasaraH ..

How could a meek engage in singing thy glory when the four faced creator,
five-faced purAri, ShaNmukha or the thousand-headed Adisesha have failed in
their attempt?

amba! kamalajadayite! arbhaka sevA vihIna mUke api anupama karuNAm eva
kR^itvA, vidyA.m shuddhA.m buddhi.m satvara.m cha mahyam dehi

O! Mother! Show thy compassion to an indolent individual who never even
prostrated to thee. O! kamalajadayite! Bless me with flawless intellect and
knowledge at once.

Is not the dullest child that demands at most care and effort from the
mother? O! shArade show thy compassion alone ‘kaR^iNAm eve kuru’ .

Anandalahari has a beautiful statement,

na chedishhTaM dadyAdanupadamaho kalpalatikA
visheshhaH sAmAnyaiH kathamitaravallIparikaraiH

Is there a difference between a kalpaka taru and a normal shrub if the
former is incapable of bestowing the needs of the seeker?

jaya tuN^gA taTastithe! jaya shR^iN^gAra devate!

Aravind