Adhyaatmic significance of navaraatri

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 5 08:17:57 CDT 2000

>From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com>
>
>The Shukla ashtami of every month is called Durgashatami and is auspicious
>for Her worship.  This is mentioned in 12th adhyaya of Chandi Path.  The
>eighth day of Navaratri has another sort of significance.  It is called
>Havanashtami and it when the Homa and Balidana should be done.  Balidana
>is the sacrifice of an animal (usually a goat or sheep.)  Bengalis and
>other North Indians actually do this.  But in Gujarat and other places
>were people are more likely to be vegetarian, a substitute is used
>instead.  Like at our local mandir, they slice a watermelon in half.
>It's not quite as dramatic but a lot gentler!

Maybe a more learned member/North Indian can correct me/add to this. Today
is Durga Ashtami and throught North India, almost irrespective of the Ishta
Devata, people fast. As opposed to the specific days of Upakramans in South
India and probably the western parts, when the Yajnopavit is changed and the
vows re-affirmed, throughout North India people change their Yajnopavit
today.

ashish