Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Rajiv Malhotra rajiv.malhotra at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed May 24 19:00:31 CDT 2000

I had sent an attachment with an essay by Alan Wallace, who was Dalai Lama's
translator and assistant and who wrote over 15 books on the subject. It
DIRECTLY addresses the issue of theism in Buddhism. Any tradition has a
right to have its scriptures interpreted by its own leaders, and Dalai Lama
can certainly be considered as a good representative. So why not take that
essay as starting point, either accepts its position, or else give us some
specific item that we could try to get answered by its author.

If the goal is to prove some preconceived conclusion, then it's a waste of
time except for big egos. Ifs its genuine understanding, then lets have a
tradition tell us how it wants its views known.

Even Vedanta went through many interpretations, and Buddhism has the same
right.

Rajiv