Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 23 22:19:08 CDT 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000 14:44:54 -0500, Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan
<kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:

>"But perhaps Nagarjuna's negation is quite different from Upanishadic
>negation. The latter assumes the existence of an inexpressible essential
>substratum, and the main aim is to describe, by negation, an absolute
>which cannot be expressed. The Madhyamika negations do not assume an
>inexpressible essential substratum, nor is their purpose to describe, by
>negation, this reality, rather to deny that there can be such a reality."
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 This is the absolute clincher in the argument, coming as it does
 from one who seems to have clearly understood the main difference
 between the Buddhist and Vedantic approaches. I was making
 the same point, but, unfortunately, it seems to have been lost in
 the zeal to equate Madhyamika with advaita.

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org