Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 21 09:15:37 CDT 2000

Thank you for the clarification. However, I feel that Dvaita was prevelant
before Bhagvatpada, just as Advaita was. Bhagvatpada, in his Bhashya on BS
1.3.19 himself states that "some amongst ourselves seem to hold that the
Jivas are real as such" (paraphrase from memory). The Bhagvata and the
Pancharatra sects before Bhagvatpada too held that Bhakti can lead to
salvation.
-VA
----Original Message Follows----
From: nanda chandran <vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM>
To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
Subject: Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 06:41:30 PDT

>Jnana/Bhakti (which is defined
>in a particular manner in the works of Sri Ramanuja like the
>Vedarthasamgraha, the Shri Bhashya) is still the means of Salvation.

Vishal, the distinction that I made between Advaita and other schools of
VedAnta is not one of karma Vs jnAna, but bhakti Vs jnAna.

JnAna mArga implicitly accepts mans own ability to find the reality by
himself and within himself. This is the basis of Advaita where there is no
other apart from oneself to worship or seek refuge in. One knows one's own
Self to be the Absolute.

While in bhakti the sAdhaka seeks refuge in the power of Ishwara to liberate
him from samsAra. Here there's an other to seek refuge in and worship and
the implicit denial of man's own power to liberate himself.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam