Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 20 22:52:42 CDT 2000

>Ok, granted. But then let us just rephrase our question to the >Buddhists,
>"In which substratum do you negate the knowledge of the >world?"

While VedAnta negates the world on the basis of the Atman, the Self, the
pure subject, the Bauddhas who deliberately misinterpret the Atman to be an
eternal ego, negate the world on the basis of VijnAptimAtratA or pure
consciousness. While this VijnAptimAtratA is explicit in VijnAnavAda, it is
implied in the MAdhyamaka, which doesn't want to put it out in specific
words.