Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Rajiv Malhotra rajiv.malhotra at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed May 17 12:24:28 CDT 2000

Thank you, Shri Nanda Chandran. This is also my understanding.

Madhyamika when properly understood is saying the same as Advaita Vedanta.
Radical emptiness is that there is no-thing, which is that maya (as things)
is unreal. (Unreal is in the same sense in both cases, i.e. relative and as
mithya only.)

Radical fullness of Vedanta is also that nothing with any boundary (special
or in time) is maya because the absolute is without boundaries.

Nagarjuna deconstructed maya by attacking anything with boundaries. This
DOES NOT APPLY to Brahman, which is a non-thing as per Vedanta.

Moving beyond the caste politics of Brahmin controlled Vedas verses mass
publicly accessibly Madhyamika, these two traditions can be used (and indeed
were in history) to deepen each other's understanding and experience. Like
travelers going on the earth's surface in opposite directions will
ultimately meet, and seem to be opposite only during the incomplete journey.

Rajiv Malhotra