panchayatana puja

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 28 16:07:23 CST 2000

--- ShrI Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> According to the Digvijayas the situation was not good at
> that
> time.  There were many sects and philosophies that
> misinterpreted or were
> completely against the Vedas.  Amongst the astikas much
> energy was
> misspent in arguing over whether Shiva Bhagawan was
> superior to Vishnu
> Bhagawan or both were inferior to Mataji etc.  To
> alleviate this and to
> get people thinking of the Advaita bhava, this puja was
> started.

    I request clarification of a few doubts regarding this.

1. I have heard that the Panchayatana puja and the Smartha
   tradition were both very old ( i.e. since vedic times ).
   Adi Shankara revived these and re-instated them.
   Or, did he actually institute them?  Are there any
   evidences for pre-Shankaran origins of the Smartha
   tradition ( like temples, monuments etc. )?

2. At least in Tamil Nadu, most of the conflict between
   shaivites and vaishnavites seems to have occurred AFTER
   ShrI Shankara.  This has lead to some views that there
   was sectarian squabbling by the various bhakti cults
   which put paid to the essendtial "unity" of gods.
   So, did ShrI Shankara unite what were disparate elements
              OR
       did ShrI Shankara establish a unified, undivided
       tradition which was later on split in to sects?

Thanks.

-Vivek.

http://im.yahoo.com

--