panchayatana puja

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Mar 28 13:01:19 CST 2000

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" wrote:

> In the Smarta sampradaya we have a practice that attempts to eliminate
> both problems--the panchayatana puja.  We believe it was established by
> Shankaracharya himself.

Here I would like to know why Shankara is called the
"Shanmathasthaapanaachaarya " ? When he introduced the " Panchaayatana
pooja "
system, was it not sufficient to end the sqabble over the superiority of
Gods
?
How can one person advocate six different sampradaayas ? I am quite
confused
over the terms Panchayatana and Shanmatha. Kindly clarify. (Hope you
dont
think my confusion is absurd !)

Regards,
Hari Om,