Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

Charles Wikner WIKNER at NAC.AC.ZA
Tue Mar 28 03:06:45 CST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, jkcowart at cari.net wrote:
>
> > Indeed, as for particular scriptures, Krishnamurti said: "Truth is a
> > trackless land."
>
> So why should we believe Krishnamurti :-)  Those who reject scriptures
> inevitably end up creating their own.

John did acknowledge the author of the quote - a habit to be
encouraged! - but you dismiss it solely on account of that author.
This is just vitaNDa.

In this particular instance, is it Krishnamurti or Jaldhar, that
is rejecting scriptures (smRti and shruti) ?

      Just as the footprints of birds cannot be traced in space,
      and of aquatics in water, similar is the movement of the
      man of knowledge.  [Mbh. ShA. 239.24]

      Those who want to go beyond the courses of the world,
      do not tread any path.  [itihAsa upaniSad 18]

ShrI ShankarAcArya saw fit to quote these two passages in his
commentary to Mu. Up. 3.2.6 (Gambhirananda's translation given).

A biblical quote that comes to mind to match the smRti text is:

      The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the
      sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and
      whither it goeth: so is everyone that is born of the Spirit.
      [Gospel according to John 3:8]

I am not taking sides; just concerned about the level of discourse.

Regards, Charles.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org