Advaita and Christianity

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Mar 27 19:05:07 CST 2000

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> jkcowart at cari.net <jkcowart at CARI.NET> wrote:

[..]

> > Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:
> > >Heavens gate cult. I claim eschatological properties of UFOs have
> no
> > >connection with advaita.
> >
> > Yes, yes, of course.  Quite so.  I ought to have restricted my
> statement
> > to *the world's great religions*--all of which have some thread of
> non-
> > dual insight in them.
>
> In case anyone thought I was trying to be pedantic, I was trying to
> illustrate a point, namely, the subjective nature of which religions
> come under the "great religions" banner. To some it may be obvious, to
> me it only seems subjective.

When Ramana says, "All religions are the same," surely it makes perfect
sense to you? Or do you ask him whether or not he specifically included
the Heaven's gate cult when he used the term "all religions"? Does it
really require so much clarification?

My guess is that John was hinting at something along the same vein as
Ramana.

[..]

> Rama

-Kartik