Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Mar 24 14:41:15 CST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, jkcowart at cari.net wrote:

[..]

> > And yet it is my dharma to be a Christian.  Like Raimundo Pannikar,
> > I need not give up the religion of my birth to embrace advaita.  In
> > fact, Pannikar says that the true Christian relinquishes "Christianity"
> > (as attachment to a form) but practices "Christianness" in love of
> > others and gratitude to Spirit for the life he (or she) lives.

Yes. I too believe that one must not give up the faith that one was born
into at any cost.

[..]

> I do not think one can in good conscience claim to be a Christian and a
> Vedantin without doing violence to one or the other.

Ramana Maharshi has said, "All of Vedanta is contained in the two Biblical
statements: `I am that I am' and `Be still and know that I am God.' "

Again, to a person who asked him about the Bible and the GItA, Ramana
said, "They are the same book."

It's highly unlikely that Ramana would've made such strong statements in
support of the Bible if it weren't non-dualistic.

[..]

-Kartik

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam