RFD on advaita-siddhi 12

Thu Mar 2 08:00:40 CST 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Savithri Devaraj wrote:

> There is only so much time in a day, my work deadlines and my kids'
> responsibilities are quite over whelming to me. So, sometimes my complaint to
> God is - why this interest when I cannot do justice to it?  Believe me, I read
> all the posts and enjoy and learn from 90% of them.

Think of it this way.  The jiva has had to endure hundreds of lives as
plants or animals in which it it suffered indignities such as being
trodden on or eaten.  Perhaps at some point it managed to achieve a human
birth but sqaundered it on frivolous activities.  Finally at long last
you've been in the position to hear the Vedantic teaching.  There may be
trials and tribulations ahead but they pale in comparison with what you've
already achieved.

I think what people should honestly ask themselves is "Am I making
progress?  Is my knowledge and practice better today than it was a month
ago? six months ago?  A year ago?"  If they can answer yes, there is
forward movement, It doesn't matter if the pace is slower or faster than
other peoples.  If they can't honestly answer yes then they need to make
a sober reassessment of their priorities.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.