Genuine Upanishads

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 27 21:50:41 CDT 2000

Jaldhar had listed a few criteria by which we can decide if an Upanishad is
ancient or not. I had used similar criteria in the past and arrived at the
following list. Note that the list includes some (not ALL because I will
complete the list later) Samhita Upanishads also. Any corrections are
welcome.

Ancient Upanishads of the Veda

I. Shakala Charana of Rigveda
1. Aitreya Upanishad (2nd Aranyaka of the Aitreya Aranyaka).
2. Asyavaamiya Sukta (Rigveda 1,164,1-64)
3. Purusha Sukta (Rigveda X, 90)
4. Nasadiya Sukta (Rigveda X, 129)
5. Hiranyagarbha Sukta (Rigveda X,121,1-10)
6. Vac Sukta (Rigveda
7. Mudgala Upanishad of Mudgala Shakha
8. Galava Upanishad of Galava Shakha

II. Bashkala Charana of Rigveda
1. Bashkalamantra Upanishad

III. Mandukeya Charana of Rigveda
1. Bavrucha Upanishad

IV. Shankhayana Charana and Kaushitaki Charana of Rigveda
1. Kaushitaki Brahamana Upanishad in the Shankhayana Aranyaka
2. Samhita Upanishad in the Shankhayana Aranyaka

V. Taittiriya Charana of Krishna Yajurveda
1. Taittiriya Upanishad (Taittiriya Aranyaka prapathaka VII-IX)
2. Yajniki or Mahanarayana Upanishad (Taittiriya Aranyaka prapathaka X)

VI. Kathaka Charana of Krishna Yajurveda
1. Kathakamantra or Kathaka or Katha or Kathavalli Upanishad (concluding
chapters of Kathaka Upanishad Mantra Samhita)
2. Kathashruti Upanishad
3. Kanthashruti Upanishad
4. Shivasamkalpa Brahamana (also in RV Ashwalayana Shakha and RV Mandukeya
Shakha)
5. Katha Shiksha Upanishad (first chapter of Kathaka Upanishad Mantra
Samhita)

VI. Maitrayaniya Charana of Krishna Yajurveda
1. Maitrayaniya Upanishad or Maitrayainiya Aranyaka or Brihadaranyaka of
Maitrayaniya Shakha (the Charaka Aranyaka manuscript is almost identical to
this text)
2. Chhagaleya Upanishad of the Chhagaleya Shakha
3. Shvetashvatara Upanishad of the Shvetashvatara Shakha

VII. Vajasneya Shakhas or Shukla Yajurveda Shakhas
1. Vajasneyi Samhita Upanishad or Isha or Ishavasya Upanishad (Madhyandina
and Kanva recensions).
2. Brihadarnyaka Upanishad (Madhyandina and Kanva recensions).
3. Agnirahasya section in book X of Shatapath Brahman
4. Jabala Upanishad of Jabala Shakha
5. Subala Upanishad
6. Mandala Brahamana Upanishad
7. Tadeva Upanishad (in Yajurveda Samhita)
8. Rudrasukta (In Yajurveda Samhita)

VIII. Jaiminiya or Talavakara Shakha of Samaveda
1. Jaiminiya Brahmana Upanishad or Talavakara Aranyaka
2. Kena Upanishad in the Talavakara Aranyaka
3. Shatyayana Gayatri Upanishad in the Talavakara Aranyaka
4. Pranagnihotra in the initial sections of the Jaiminiya Brahman

IX. Kauthuma and Ranayaniya Shakhas of Samaveda
1. Chhandogya Upanishad or Tandya Rahasya Upanishad

X. Shaunaka Shakha of Atharvaveda
1. Atharvana Upanishad or Mantra Upanishad of Atharvaveda or Mundaka
Upanishad
2. Pranava Upanishad ( in Gopatha Brahmana)
3. Skambha Sukta
4. Ucchishta Sukta
5. Prana Sukta
6. Gayatri Upanishad (Gopatha Brahamana I, 32-33)
7. Brahma Sukta

XII. Paippalada Shakha of Atharvaveda
1. Prashna Upanishad
2. Brahma Upanishad
3. Garbha Upanishad
4. Samhita Upanishad or Brahma Sukta (Paippalada Atharvaveda VIII, 9, 1-12)

XIII. Atharva Veda Upanishads of Unknown Shakhas or not belonging to any
Shakha
1. Chulika Upanishad
2. Mandukya Upanishad
3. Brahmabindu Upanishad
4. Nadabindu Upanishad
5. Dhyanabindu Upanishad
6. Amritabindu Upanishad
7. Tejobindu Upanishad
8. Atharvashiras Upanishad
9. Atharvashikha Upanishad
10. Kaivalya Upanishad

XIV. Upanishads whose Vedic Shakha is not known or which do not belong to
any Shakha
1. Shaunaka Upanishad
2. Arsheya Upanishad