New Member Introduction: Taina Kilpiainen

Yajnaguhya yajnaguhya at SKYNET.BE
Wed Jun 14 03:20:40 CDT 2000

Dear Friends,
I would like to comment on the first contribution from Ms. Taina Kilpiainen
concerning self-realization. The statment "You are already enlightened" may
be true from a theoretical or metaphysical standpoint, but extremely
dangerous in practice. If misunderstood, it can lead to aberrant
conclusions; superfluous to give examples. It has sense only if understood
as pointing to the fact that no effort for enlightenment starting from the
ego can lead one beyond the ego: an "I" wanting to transcend the "I" can
only engage in a vicious circle (and "vicious circle" is a name for
samsaara). Ms. Kilpiainen's remarks show that she has well seized the point
in question. If no self-effort can lead anywhere, the only way is nyaasa:
self-surrender to the Lord and dedication of all activities to Him. This is
consecration and true yajna. And here is where Bhakti comes in, "For God
dislikes the reliance on one's own unaided efforts ... in independently
working out one's salvation" (Narada Bhakti Sutras 27; transl. and comm. by
Swami Tyagishananda, Sri Ramakrishna Math, Madras - see also the Swami's
important note on sutra 8).
On the same subject we have Sri Ramakrishna's words: "The Jnana Yogi says,
'I am He'. But as long as one has the idea of the Self as body, this egotism
is injurious. It does not help one's progress, and it brings about one's
ruin. Such a person deceives himself and others" (Sayings of Sri
Ramakrishna, No. 745; Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore).

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.