Advaita

Fri Jun 2 17:58:37 CDT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Ram Chandran wrote:

> Greetings Jaldhar:
>
> Thanks bringing out my pitfalls and I appreciate you for taking time to
> respond.  I suggest that you visit the Website:
> <http://www.math.csusb.edu/history/public_html/Mathematicians/Panini.html>
>
> and go over all the references before you make your judgement. Few years
> back, an article appeared in Nature on Panini relating the relevance of
> Sanskrit Grammer and Artificial Intelligence. I don't have any reference and
> since you are an expert in computers and also Sanskrit, I suggest that you
> should be able to get the reference.

I am aware of some of these things.  They are ok for novelty value but
don't really contribute anything to the big problems in Artifical
Intelligence (at least no more than any other language.)  More
importantly they don't contribute anything to our understanding of our own
culture.  If we are fortunate enough to be heirs to the Vedic heritage it
is because of the hard work of our ancestors.  If we resort to gimmicks
instead of hard work we will waste away our inheritence.  One of our
friends have a clock thay every hour says the Gayatri mantra.  If they sat
around listening to the clock instead doing sandhyavandana it would be
ridiculous right?  In the same way let's let the computers do dumb machine
things and leave the learning of Sanskrit to Human Beings.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.