a THOUGHT

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 21 17:58:18 CDT 2000

There is no proof that rice grains were absent in the Vedic period. They are
distinctly mentioned in the AV and YV texts. If rice is not mentioned in the
RV, so is salt not mentioned. But nobody will deny that it is the Western
Punjab where natural salt is most plentiful in India. The RV is not an
encyclopedia which should mention each and everything. Anyway, domesticated
rice is attested in IVC sites, to my knowledge. Since the RV is now
considered an 'INDIAN' texts even by IVC = non IA believers, there is no
reason why rice should not be mentioned by the post IVC RV, except if by an
oversight.

Similar arguments are also made with respect to the purported absence of
other things. For instance, some say that only wool is mentioned in the RV
and so the incomming IA speakers were still fond of wearing their woolen
clothes even in N India. This argument is too falacious considering that the
contexts where Urna is mentioned are that of Soma filters etc, which
employed wool and not cotton or other things.

The Taittiriya Upanishad is for that matter considered by the mainstream
Indologists as a late Vedic texts (later than the Samhitas, Brahmanas)
although an early Upanishad. And Rice is certainly mentioned in
pre-Taittiriya Upanishad texts like the Atharvaveda (Shaunakiya as well as
Paippalada).

I do not know if anna is used interchangeably with the word rice in S India
but there is no such equation in North India, to my knowledge. In fact, the
word would probably conjure images of wheat in Haryana, Punjab etc. For
instance, I would think of wheat if the word anna is mentioned to me because
I eat rice 1-2 times a week whereas eat wheat everyday.