a THOUGHT

T Swaminarayan tvswaminarayan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 21 15:27:36 CDT 2000

Dear List members,

Here is just a thought  that occurred to me when I was
going through Traittriya Upanishad and its commentary
by Swami Sharvananda :

the word "Annam" is basically understood by us as
'Rice' in general parlance. Is it not? It is
interesting to note that all translations  of this
word "Annam", where ever it occurs in the upanishads
,is denoted as 'food' and not 'Rice'.

Is this because in the vedic period  rice grains were
not existent? Was the word ,'Annam', essentially
representing all edible food which comprised of fruits
and vegetables?

Could some of our members throw some more light on
this

Swaminarayan