Some Vedic sacrifices of this century

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Jan 13 12:01:05 CST 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> >Considering both the above declarations, why can we not say the >injunction
> >is applicable for one who has the desire for heaven AND >the required
> >wealth?
> Yes, of course.

Thank you so much for telling me exactly what I wanted to hear! I can now
say I have absolutely no desire whatsoever for heaven and that I choose
not to perform this particular sacrifice!

> But one fails to see why there anything in the above should
> be seen as internally contradictory or inconsistent.

Not at all -- nothing to do with pointing out contradictions or

I personally have never come across an animal sacrifice and would do
almost anything to squirm out of performing such a sacrifice. If there's
any -- ANY -- allowance whatsoever in this regard, I would immediately
make use of it and choose the alternative.

Had I been brought up in an environment where animal slaughter was
routine, I may have become "desensitized" to the killing of an animal, and
maybe even performed such a sacrifice with alacrity. But there's no way I
can start now, and will definitely not do so if there's a choice element

That's why I explored PishhTa-pashu yaGYas and other alternatives galore,
thinking the sacrifices may be an obligatory duty for me :-)

> the result, but one who wants to sacrifice can sacrifice.

That's no problem, and is none of my business anyway. I'm no animal rights

> If one wishes to
> sacrifice, but feels queasy about slaughtering an animal in the process,
> then one can conceivably give up the intention to sacrifice, and turn to the
> alternative action of recitation.

Then that's it for me :-)

> However, there is no allowance for
> modifying any part of the sacrificial act itself.

That wouldn't be necessary if the performance is by choice and not a rule
to be enforced.

> Vidyasankar

Thanks again!

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam