Proposal to start posting Bhagavat Gita Bhashya

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Feb 28 12:43:15 CST 2000

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:
>
> > Ashish Chandra <ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > > I have been reading a little of Acharya's Bhagawat Gita Bhashya,
> > translation
> > > by Shri A.G. Krishnan Warrier. While I have understood some of the
> > portions,
> > > I have had difficulty in understanding most of them, especially the
> > sections
> > > dealing with Jnana (haven't gone past Chapter 4). If the members
> > here wish,
> > > I would like to start posting the BGB. Transliteration might be a
> > problem
> > > but I will try my best. I will wait for the members' views on this.

Since no one else has done so, I think I should remind Ashish that Vidya
had been posting, until about a year ago, Shankara's BGB with his own
English translation and notes. Although he has been busy lately and has
temporarily halted the postings, he has promised to resume the series as
soon as possible.

It would be a much better utilization of Ashish's time and energy if he
would take up another work of Shankara -- say the BR^ihadaaraNyaka
upanishhad.h BhAshhya, and post the Sanskrit transliteration along with
the English translation. The Sanskrit transliteration of the B.U. has
already been completed, so that makes the work much easier. You can find
the Sanskrit transliteration of many texts at the following website:
http://sanskrit.gde.to/all_html/

Just a suggestion!

Thanks,

Kartik