Shri Rudram 2.4 (annAnAM pataye namaH)

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 14 16:09:59 CST 2000

|| AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

 line.]

    chaturthaM yajuH
    ----------------

   namo babhlushAya vivyAdhine .annAnAM pataye namaH |

  Salutations to Him who rides the Bull (babhlushAya), Him who pierces
  the enemies (vivyAdhine) and Him who is the Lord (pataye) of foods
  (annAnAm.h).

  sAyaNAchArya's commentary:
  --------------------------

  bibharti rudramiti babhrurvR^ishhabhaH  sa eva babhlU
  raLayorbhedAbhAvaH | tasmin.h shete tishhThatIti babhlushaH
  sa cha vidveshhiNAM visheshheNa vidhyatIti vivyAdhI
  tathAvidhAya vivyAdhine namo .astu | yashcha-annAnAM pAlako
  rudrastasmai namo .astu |

  He who bears Rudra is "babhru", the bull (vR^ishhabha, nandI).
  (That bull) is "babhlU" only because there is no difference
  between "ra" and "La" here. He who rests or rides on that (babhlU)
  is called "babhlusha". He also pierces or  excellently destroys the
  enemies, those who hate. Salutations to such a Rudra who is vivyAdhI
  (and babhlusha). And may salutations be to Him who is the Lord of foods,
  the Guardian of foods.

 Note:

  The epithet "annAnAM pataye namaH" (Lord of foods) reminds one of
  ManjunAtheshvara of the place of pilgrimage called Dharmasthala in
  Karnataka. This is a wonderful place because the temple of Shiva,
  who is called ManjunAtha, has Vaishnava priests and is run by a Heggade,
  a Jain by birth! Here everyone, regardless of caste or any other factor,
  gets free meals and lodging. Lord ManjunAtha is called "anna-dAtA" or
  "giver of food" because He turns away no one who is hungry.

     || AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam