viShNu sahasranAma - 16 & 17

Savithri Devaraj sdevaraj at EXPLORER.CSC.COM
Mon Feb 7 14:53:33 CST 2000

16.  xetraj~na : The knower of the field or body.

The Bhagavad-Gita says: " xetraj~nam.h chA.api mAm viddhi - know me to
be the knower of the xetra or the field, i.e the body". shAnti parva
(351.6) says : "These bodies are the fields, in which seeds consisting
of man's good and bad acts yield their fruits as enjoyments and
sufferings. As the dwelling spirit is the knower of all these, he is
called xetraj~na.

17: axara eva cha : He who is without destruction, i.e the Supreme
Spirit.

The word is formed by adding the suffix "shara" at the end of the root
"as". "Eva" and "cha" in the text show respectively that according to
the great dictum 'Tat tvam asi", xetraj~na and axara are identical
metaphysically and that their difference is relevant only relatively.

>From Translation and commentary of Sri SankarAcArya. Translated by
Swami Tapasyananda.

Savithri

--