subrahmaNya bhujangam - verses 16-20

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at COMCO.COM
Fri Feb 4 17:21:37 CST 2000

  Meditation on Lord's Six faces

sutaaN^godbhavo me.asi jiiveti shhaDdhaa
 japanmantramiisho mudaa jighrate yaan.h |
jagadbhaarabhR^idbhyo jagannaatha tebhyaH
 kiriiTojjvalebhyo namo mastakebhyaH || 16||

  Oh! Lord of the Universe!  I offer my prostration to Thy six
heads wearing crowns with brilliant rubies which protect the welfare
of creatures, which were smelt by Parameshwara with joy uttering six
times the mantra ``Child Thou were born of me, May Thou live long.''

  Meditation on Lord Balasubrahmanya

sphuradratnakeyuurahaaraabhiraama\-
 shchalatkuNDalashriilasadgaNDabhaagaH |
kaTau piitavaasaH kare chaarushaktiH
 purastaanmamaastaaM puraarestanuujaH || 17||

  Oh Kumara! Son of Lord Parameshwara (who destroyed Tripura)!
With garlands of brilliant rubies on Thy shoulders and chest, with
bright cheeks shining when pendants dangling from Thy ears, wearing
silk garment around Thy waist, and with vel in Thy hand, Oh! Lord
appear before me (It is said that Lord appeared before Achaarya when
he sung this stotra)!

  Meditation on Somaskanda

ihaayaahi vatseti hastaanprasaaryaa\-
 hvayatyaadaraachchhaN^kare maaturaN^kaat.h |
samutpatya taataM shrayantaM kumaaraM
 haraashlishhTagaatraM bhaje  baalamuurtim.h || 18||

When Lord Shankara called Thee affectionately with arms extended.
Thou hurriedly rose from Mother's lap and rushed into Shankara's arms who
embraced thee affectionately. I meditate on such a Lord Kumara.

  Meditation on Lord's Eleven Names to Conquer Passions

kumaareshasuuno guha skanda senaa\-
pate shaktipaaNe mayuuraadhiruuDha |
pulindaatmajaakaanta bhaktartihaarin.h
 prabho taarakaare sadaa raksha maaM tvam.h ||  19 ||

Oh kumara!  Oh Son of Lord of the Universe!  One shines in the cave of
the heart as Guhaa!  Oh skanda!  Oh Lord of the Devas Army!  Oh
Wielder of the weapon Vel (spear) which is the svaruupa of Parashakti!
One who rides on the peacock chariot!  Oh Beloved of the Hunter's
daughter (Valli)!  Destroyer of the sins of your devotees!  Enemy of
the Taraakasura!  Oh Lord protect me!

It is said that one who recites these nine will over come the
passions.

  Prayer for Darshan During the Last Moments of Life

prashaantendriye nashhTasa.nGYe vicheshhTe
 kaphodgaarivaktre bhayotkampigaatre |
prayaaNonmukhe mayyanaathe tadaaniiM
 drutaM me dayaalo bhavaagre guha tvam.h || 20||

  Hail Guha, Dayalo. During the last moments of my life, when
I will have lost control of senses, when I will have lost consciousness,
when I will be unable move my limbs, when I will be emitting foam of
phlegm, when my body will be trembling with fear of death, when I will
have none to protect me, Thou must hasten to give me Darshan then.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.