svadharma

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 2 12:41:43 CST 2000

>From: Sankaran Jayanarayanan <kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU>
>Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:51:36 -0600
>
>First of all, I must say that I have come across several people claiming
>to be pious BrAhmaNas who find it convenient to be "more dhArmic" in
>America. I found this quite distasteful, and was indeed glad to hear that
>BodhAyana agrees with me.

If I remember correctly, the late Paramaachaarya of Kanchi Jagadguru
Chandrashekharendra Saraswati visited the Self Realization Fellowship
temples in the US sometime in the 1950s. I thought that usually the
Paramaachaarya would not even go to Mumbai because it was once an island
(and he would have to travel over water). Are the rules for Sannayaasis
different. Swami Vivekananda and Paramhansa Yoganandanda both spent a good
deal of time outside India. (They weren't Brahmins but does that matter in
terms of the injunction of not travelleing over the seas?)

ashish