shrii raamabhujangaprayaata - 2

T Swaminarayan tvswaminarayan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 3 18:08:54 CDT 2000

--- Raghavendra Hebbalalu <hs_raghavendra at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:
> shiva.m nityameka.m vibhu.m taarakaakhya.m
>       sukhaakaaramaakaarashuunya.m sumaanya.m |
> mahesha.m kalesha.m suresha.m paresha.m
>       naresha.m niriisha.m mahiisha.m prapadye || 2
>

> shiva.m : the most auspicious,(1)
> nitya.m : eternal,
> Eka.m : the one without a second,
> vibhu.m : all pervading,
> taarakaakhya.m : Deliverer,saviour of all the
> worlds,
> sukhaakaaram : the embodiment of bliss,
> aakaarashuunya.m : devoid of any form,
> sumaanya.m : well respected,
> mahesha.m : the great lord,(1)
> kalesha.m : master of all the arts, (kalas),
> suresha.m : lord of all the suras (gods),
> paresha.m : the greatest Lord, (parameshvara),
> naresha.m : Lord of all human beings (2),
> niriisha.m : without any other Lord, (3)
> mahiisha.m : mahii (earth) + iisha.m (Lord), lord of
> the world
> prapadye : I take refuge.
>
> I take refuge in (shrii raama), (who is) the most
> auspicious, the eternal one, all-pervading,the
> deliverer of all the worlds,the embodiment of bliss
> itself, who is formless, yet the most respected, who
> is the great Lord, master of all arts, Lord of the
> gods, parameshvara, the lord of the world and who
> has
> no other Lord but Himself.
>
> Notes:
> 1. shiva and mahesha are the names of Lord Shiva
> also.
> Sri Shankara states that shiva and vishhNu are one
> and
> the same. The purANic shloka
> "shivaaya vishNuruupaaya shivaruupaaya vishNave |
> shivasya hR^idayam vish.hNu vishNoshcha hridayam
> shivaH ||"
> and so on also asserts the same.
>
> 2. Lord Raama ruled AyOdhya for 11,000 years
> according
> the Ramayana. Even today a model state is referred
> as a 'raamaraajya'.
>
> 3. This reminds me of a nindaa-stuthi in Kannada by
> Sri Purandaradaasa. He says 'ninnantha swaami
> enagunTu
> ninagilla' meaning 'I have a master and Lord like
> You.
> You have no master like Yourself'.
>
> Corrections and improvements are welcome.
>
> Raghavendra.

It is a very enlightening  thread that you have
started by posting this stuti on Lord Rama by Shri
Shankara.
Indeed Rama and Shiva are verily one and the same!How
Indeed, Shankara leads us to Advaitic thoughts by his
such immortal Hyms.We eagerly await the rest of the
slokas and your word to word meanings which make your
postings very useful for laymen like me who are not so
adept in Sanskrit .

Regards,

Swaminarayan

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l.html