R: Re: Bhakti

Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Mon Apr 3 14:41:33 CDT 2000

Ivano Alessandro Elia wrote:

>So my question could be reformulated as this:
>What should I do to become a devotee of Lord Siva?

namaskAram.
 Pardon my interruption on this topic with few insignificant comments of my
own ...

 a) What does it mean to you when you say "devotee of" ? Answer this, and
you have gone a long way.

 b) If your answer to (a) above is "have bhakti towards", then, my comment
would be - bhakti towards a deity for the sake of bhakti is like lighting a
lamp without knowing why - sure enough, the lamp gives you light, but you
first need eye sight to see that which gets illumined by the light - so
also with bhakti - first try to find out what it is that you are trying to
"see" with bhakti - then and only then do you reap the rewards of bhakti.

 c) Whom do you mean by Lord Siva? - find out more about this "person" -
who He is or what He is, or some thing that tells you more about Him. If
not, the "devotion" comes to be categorized  differently - (to use the
words of Anatarama Dikshidhar), as the love a concubine has for her
paramour - the concubine neither knows how great the person she is "loving"
is, nor does she care if "he" is some body else.

 d) If you want to "become" a "devotee of" "Siva" - then also find out
about what it means "to become"

 If you want to find out more about bhakti, read the Narada bhakti sutras.
You will find then that the "bhakti" that the gopis of virndavan had
towards Krishna is, in my opinion, the only true example of bhakti, to
which even He Himself had no answer -

 Ok, to be more honest, I am strugling with the same question you have
asked - "How do I become a devotee of Siva" ? - my motivation for this is
simple - He is also known to be "aashutoshi" - one who gets pleased very
easily. I hence intend to please Him and thus hit the jack pot! :)

 Having asked my self this question, I started to analyse the very same
question from the word "I" in it - I first wanted to find out who or what
"I" am. The rest, I am told by very very authoritatives sources, will
follow of its own accord.

any and all comments from you and other list members is sincerely
appreciated.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.

                    Ivano Alessandro