krama mukti

Aravind Krishna seeksha at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 09:29:39 CDT 1999

Namskarams,

I just wanted to share some simple views on Sri Ravi’s postings on Karma
Mukthi.

Irrespective of any path one may prefer either Raja Yoga or Karma Yoga or
Bakthi Yoga, the qualification that is needed for one to attain mukti is
jnAna. All schools of Vedanta accept this. Only thing in which people differ
is what is mukti  ?. ( i.e. what is the eternal or the true nature of
Athma).

Now comes the question how does one gets jnAna ?. It may be through
contemplation on 'Who am I' or by Meditation or by self less action or due
to immense devotion and so on.

The important thing is, these Yoga's are not air tight compartments. There
exist perfect harmony between them.

The best proof that I can think of with my little knowledge is from Sri
Bhagavatham, where Saint Naradha narrates his previous birth.

' My mother was a servant in a retreat where great sages lived. I got the
association of holy men. I too served them (Kaimkarya) . While I was thus
serving them, one of the sages initiated me in to the scared mysteries of
wisdom. The veil of ignorance was removed from me, and I knew my real self
as divine (JnAna ). I learned that great remedy of all ills of life is to
surrender the fruits of Karmas to Lord (Karma Yoga). When the fruit that
puts us in to bondage is offered to the almighty, we become free of its
effects. Work we perform with love and devotion in turn brings wisdom in
us(Bakthi Yoga). With wisdom we are liberated. (JnAna Yoga)'

The above passage reveals the perfect harmony of all the Yogas.

There is a vivid difference between the Karma performed by a Karma Yogi and
a dry Karmanushta para (Say a Poorva Meemamsaka) . Though the same action is
being performed by both, the former gets chitta shudhi by self less action
and gets jnAna , but the later as a result of performing it as it is a
Vihitha Karma gets the needed fruit and Punya due to which the jeevan stays
in a diviya loka for some time and once his balance becomes nil comes back
to earth.

The crux of vedanta is to get rid of avidya (ignorance) and get bliss in the
eternal which is ones true nature, but the almighty alone stands as both a
witness as well as the self and Jeevan can not.

“ maayaaviiva vijR^imbhayatyapi mahaayogiiva yaH svechchhayaa”

He alone can stands both as a maayavi as well as a yogi.

Regarding Vaikunta,

Even in Shri Vaishnava traditions Vaikunta is not considered to be a place
but a state.  Sri Vedantha Desikar has done rahasya works explaining those.

Ksheerapthi or parkadal is where vijaya and jaya exist. Though normally the
word Vaikunta is used to denote a place, it only means Ksheerapthi in actual
sense.

If we say Shiva pada is Kailash that exist in Himalayas,then that would get
destroyed in pralaya.
The ultimate state of one in any Vedantic school is not considered to be
bound by time or space.

Regarding kaimkaryam,

Almighty does not need the service what we offer, but a devote needs
service for the sake of service and nothing else. Paramathma is not a
merchant for us to trade, giving some thing and getting some thing in
return. He is an ocean of compassion with rolling waves of mercy. His
compassion towards us is boundless.

Then why does one needs to perform kaimkarya ?.

“ Panduranga was with JanaBai for all night singing and writing down all her
abang’s and when it was 5’0 clock she stood up and said, ‘I have to go to
clean the front, Panduranga was astonished and asked her, ‘The fruit of all
service is me and you have that, then what is the need for you to serve?’,
She said ‘would I restrain from the act that was the cause for you to be
here !‘.”

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.