Gayatri Mantra

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 22 15:20:34 CDT 1999

My sincere thanks to all who answered my previous question.
I would like to know a few basic details regarding the Gayatri Mantra.

1) What is the meaning of the word "Gayatri"?

2) As there are "gayatri"s for most of the important deities, why is
THE
   "Gayatri" so significant?

3) Is is true that the mantra should not be chanted out aloud?

4) Should it be chanted with a pause after each sentence?
   If so, why?

5) What are the rules regarding the chanting of the mantra?

Thanks in advance,

-Vivek.