No subject

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Wed Oct 27 09:19:38 CDT 1999

namaskaram.

 The debate on this topic seems to be veering towards the need for karma rather
than the original intended question about richness and quality of debates.
However, although this reply of mine is one more in the "nonsense" series, it is
important that we dont brush nonsense under the carpet.

  Clubbing some "moderninst" thinkers with the likes of the true advaitins we
follow is a) wrong b) take it off this list. Is it the view of your "modernist"
thinker that you must judge upon the merit or need for a shika? Perhaps he has
also said that wearing vibhuti is also unimportant and some more such things ...
You may just follow him to where he leads you. As for me (and some of us) - we
will follow shastras to the "letter" - even today.

 What you as a person feel is karma is your karma - not mine. On the other hand
if what you feel about karma is what the shastras say it is, then it is mine
also. not otherwise.

 If you can understand science, use it to try and understand the full logic
behind the reasons why "an agnihotra has to performed by the yajaman in the
morning as the sun is set to rise before any housholder of the yajaman has
eaten" - when you dont have the full knowlwdge of what's going on, approximating
is like saying -" I know that gun powder when ignited explodes - however, the
gunpowder in a bullet is too small to cause any harm, so we might as well shoot
in any direction" -
 worshipping agni is like waking a sleeping tiger. this has been repeated time
and time again in the apasthamba sutra. dont meddle with a concept of which you
neither know anything, nor fully understand the vastness of ...

 debates are futile only when you decide "the speaker knows not what he talking
of - yet I can make sense out of his statements since I know better" -
apparently you are doing this with the teachings of the Rishis. For example, you
wrote:
> it is important to follow the ancients in spirit not
> merely in letter.this was what was meant by swami.vivekananda
 for one, you are saying you know better as to what swami vivekananda meant
rather than what he actually said. You are also saying that he in turn
"interpreted" the teachings of the rishis. if anyone listens to you, he or she
will in turn "interpret" you ... ad infinitum.  Please keep your
"interpretations" off this list. Statements like :
> not on mere outward appendages like 'shika'
 are not necessary, in error, and distorts the very essense of why I and a few
others want to have a shika. You neither understand nor appreciate the value of
tradition. How can you give a rational and logical explanation for why the
Gayathri mantra has to be chanted every day. How can you give a logical and
scientific reason for why even perform a sacrifice where you offer your valubles
as oblations to the fire when you can only see that it is burnt to ashes. What
logical reason can you give for even wearing a yajyopavidham in the first place
... ?

 discussing karma, as Jaldhar has already mentioned, is the only way to fully
understand our svadharma - practicing our svadharma is the ONLY way to chita
shuddi. Tell me what your "modernist"  "thinker" says about chitta shuddi.

 Please bear in mind that most of us on this list are not here to "spend" our
time, but to learn. If you can contribute to "Learning Advaita Vedanta as taught
by Shri Shankara"  do so. If not, kindly keep your judgements to yourself.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.

Devendra Vyas <dev_vyas74 at HOTMAIL.COM> on 10/27/99 12:05:03 AM

Please respond to List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
      <ADVAITA-L at braincells.com>

dear jaldhar,
              since i don't think any one of us is a realized soul,it is
difficult to say with certainity whose knowledge of advaita needs
revision.who says to ignore karma?,i say ,stress on the spirit not on the
letter.stress on the uttar-mimamsa rather than the purva-mimamsa.we must
discuss karma as explained by the lord in the gita but we should not indulge
in vain disputation like the priests.let us have a dynamic,modernist,topical
debate on jnana,karma not on mere outward appendages like 'shika'.we must
apply the principles of the ancients in the modern,present context.even the
lord comes in every age to deliver the eternal message in the current
context.now ,don't say that we need no such interpretation,application;we
need it-it is not possible,nor is it necessary to follow the ancients in
word/deed(remember they did'nt have emails,so why are we using
emails??indeed there may be even a shloka by some obscure brahmin that:"it
is wrong to communicate(send emails) without taking a bath",so should we
follow it blindly??)it is important to follow the ancients in spirit not
merely in letter.this was what was meant by swami.vivekananda,but as usual,
you took it in the literal way,which is what i am complaining
against.believe me ,i too am as saddened as you .
wishing for constructive response.
                         nothing personal-devendra.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam