Discussions on Advaita-L was (Re: New Member Introduction: Anand Hari Ghalsasi)

Tue Oct 26 18:45:30 CDT 1999

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Devendra Vyas wrote:

> dear ashish,
>              of course i agree with you that 1. will in due graduate to 2.
> i.e., genuine advaita.i too have agreed that debates are not futile,but,it
> is for us list members to introspect and answer the question:are we having
> the debates and discussions that we should as followers of advaita,of
> jnana,or are we getting trapped in discussions
> that are in the preview of karma-kanda and the like or at least not in
> keeping with the abstract,lofty philosophy of advaita.?

If you take the trouble to examine what all the great teachers of Advaita
Vedanta have said on the matter from Krishna Bhagawan in the
Gita, to Shankaracharya to Shri Vidyaranya to the present day, they have
unequivocally stated that karma and jnana are 100% incompatible.  If one
wishes to follow the jnaana marga, one must, not should, must renounce
this world.  It is only they who are beyond and thus can afford to ignore
Karma.  For all others (and this includes the vast majority of members of
this list) doing ones duty is of paramount importance and one cannot
wriggle out of it by claiming to be a jnani anymore than Arjuna could
wriggle out of doing his duty by claiming to be a vairagi.

> if the answer to this
> question is that there is no harm in discussing karma-kanda and the
> like,then fine,

Not only is there no harm, there is benefit in understanding and
practicing ones Dharma.  It is adharma and inaction which are the cause
of harm.

> but then i feel we should drop the name :
> advaita mailing list and take up the name:
> "general purpose timepass mailing list".

It is your understanding of Advaita Vedanta and its scope which needs
revision.  No true Advaitin would ever object to discussion and practice
of karmayoga by those who are qualified for it and none ever have.

i only wish that we discuss issues
> of the loftiest knowledge,the sublime and not get stuck up in matters of
> mere texttorturing and intellectual gymnastics but rather have stimulating
> discussions and emails which provide food for thought and not junk for trash

When you joined the list, you were given an introductory welcome message
that explained what the list was about.  If you have some contribution you
can make which is on-topic for this list, please do so.  You needn't wait
for anyone.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.