saattvika tyaagam

Thu Oct 14 14:10:50 CDT 1999

>  This post is from my brother Karthik.
>

>Quote from the BG (3.22) (translation by A.G.Krishna Warrier)
>----------
>"I have, Arjuna! no duty whatsoever to discharge in all the three worlds;
>there is nothing I have not won, and nothing remains to be won by Me; still
>I ceaselessly work."
>
>Shankara's commentary: In all the three worlds, Arjuna! no duty whatsoever
>exists for me to discharge. Why? There is nothing unobtained and nothing
yet
>to be obtained, by Me. Nevertheless I ceaselessly work.
>----------
>
>Better is BG (3.24):
>----------
>"If I don't work the worlds will perish; I may cause confusion, and may
ruin
>these living beings."

See BG 5. 14 - na kartRtvaM na karmANi lokasya sRjate prabhuH, na
karmaphalasaMyogaM svabhAvastu pravartate.

ISvara does not impel the jIva to work, nor create the objects of such
work. It is svabhAva, the intrinsic nature of things, that operates. In
Sankaracharya's commentary, svabhAva is described as avidyAlakshaNA prakRti,
mAyA.

If the above verse is seen to contradict other ideas of ISvara within the BG
itself, Sankaracharya's commentary again points out how this is not so. He
draws attention to BG 7. 14, daivI hy eshA guNamayI. In chapter 7, two
natures (prakRti) of ISvara are described, and tied in with the description
of kshetra-kshtrajna-yoga in chapter 13.

The problem with the Bhagavad Gita is that it can be selectively quoted to
prove every contention and its opposite. What the Gita says about ISvara
has to be understood by taking the text as a whole.

Vidyasankar

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org