saattvika tyaagam

Ravi miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 7 18:25:29 CDT 1999

There is a profound and beautiful step in shrIvaiShNava rituals called
saattvika tyaagam. Even though we (smaarta-s) do phala tyagam at the
end using the mantra "kaayena vaacha", we do not observe the saattvika
tyaagam. Dont you  think we should adopt this?

In principle, this (saattvika tyaagam) involves three parts. They are

1) Giving up the notion of "I am the doer" or sense of agency, kartrtva
tyaagam. God alone is the doer. Having the notion, I am the doer is
false. Hence we abandon this false notion.

2) When an action is performed it produces effect, the notion that the
action performed by me produced such and such effects is wrong. The
dominion of cause and effect belongs to God and not to us. Giving up
this false notion of my action was responsible for this is called
mamata tyaagam. Again we are abandoning a false notion which deceives
our mind.

3) Third is the phala tyaagam. It is a natural consequence of step 1
and 2, when the action is not ours, its cause and effect is not ours,
how can the results be ours. Only those who suffer from the pang of I
am the doer will suffer/enjoy the fruits of the action. We pray to God
to take away even fruits whatsoever may cling on to us.

This renders the whole karma, saattvika. I want to remember this (even
if do not say any mantra) while doing sandhya etc. Do you think it
conflicts with our sampradaayam, I think it does not. Please do correct
me.

AUM shrImAtre namaH

--
Ravi <miinalochanii at yahoo.com>
miinalochanii paashamochanii shive paahi shive paahi

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.