Worshipping Maya

Mon Oct 4 02:03:22 CDT 1999

I wrote:

>>> ... There are also stories of Vishnu acting like Maya etc.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> -Vivek.
>
>A late response -
>
>See Saundaryalahari, verse 97 -
>girAm Ahur devIM druhiNagRhiNIm Agamavido
>hareH patnIM padmAM harasahacarIM adritanayAM
>turIyA kApi tvam duradhigama nissImamahimA
>mahAmAyA viSvaM bhramayasi parabrahmamahishI.

I have been asked to provide a translation by a couple of list members, so
I'm posting it here for the benefit of all members.

AgamavidaH - those who know the scriptures
AhuH - describe (you, variously as)
girAm devIM - the Goddess of speech (vAgdevI/sarasvatI)
druhiNa gRhiNIM - spouse of Brahma,
hareH patnIM - the spouse of Hari
padmAM - the Lotus Goddess (SrI/lakshmI)
harasahacarIM - the companion of Hara
adritanayAM - the daughter of the mountain (umA/pArvatI).

turIyA kApi tvam - you are the fourth,
duradhigama nissImamahimA - of limitless greatness, which is
                extremely difficult to understand
mahAmAyA - the great Maya
parabrahma mahishI - the spouse of the highest Brahman, and
viSvaM bhramayasi - you delude the universe.

For another description of Maya and the highest Brahman, see also
SankarAcArya's commentary on the bhagavadgItA - introduction section and
the comments in the context of the verse beginning yadA yadA hi dharmasya
glAnir bhavati.

Regards,
Vidyasankar

--