prasthAnatrayI (was Re: saguNa and nirguNa are the same)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Sat Nov 20 09:48:15 CST 1999

Karthik wrote:

<<The upadeshasAhasrii implicitly accepts saguNopaasana, as revealed
in
the
following verse (there are many like this throughout the work):
(2.17.88) (translated by Swami Jagadananda, Ramakrishna Math)
"I bow down to that All-knowing and All-powerful One who is of the
nature
of consciousness and besides whom there is nothing else viz., a
knower,
knowledge or object of knowledge." >>

I am sorry if you think the above verse has anything to do with
saguNopAsana. It's obvious from the verse that it has nothing to do
with saguNopAsana. I'll discuss this with you the next time I talk
with you. I don't have time to type my reply to this. I am fairly
confident that you haven't looked at the kena bhAshhya inspite of the
fact that I have repeatedly quoted it. What sha.nkara means by
saguNopAsana should be clear if you had read that.  Also take a look
at the bhAshhya to satyam, GYAnam anatam brahma verse in the
tatittirIya, gauDapAda kArika 3.1 and 4.100 and the bhAshhya-s to
them. The it should be obvious that the above verse has nothing to do
with saguNopAsana.

Rama

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam