Advaita Sadhana - tripaJNchaaN^ga yoga

Sunder Hattangadi gourish at INTERNET1.NET
Fri May 7 14:35:28 CDT 1999

Advaita Sadhana - tripaJNchaaN^nga yoga - maunam.h
Step 4 of 15. [ from Shankara's aparokshaanubhuuti ].
                     tr. by Swami Vimuktananda

yasnmaadvaacho nivartante apraapya manasaa saha .
yanmauna.n yogibhirgamya.n tadbhavetsarvadaa budhaH .. 107..

yasmaat.h = from which
vaachaH = words
nivartante = turn back
apraapya = without reaching
manasaa = mind
saha = with
yat.h = that
maunam.h = silence
yogibhiH = by the yogins
gamyam.h = attainable
tat.h = that
bhavet.h = should be
sarvadaa = always
budhaH = the wise one

The wise should always be one with that silence wherefrom
words together with the mind turn back without reaching it,
but which is attainable by the Yogins.

vaacho yasmaannivartante tadvaktu.n kena shakyate .
prapaJNcho yadi vaktavyaH so.api shabdavivarjitaH .. 108..

vaachaH = words
yasmaat.h = from which
nivartante = turn back
tat.h = that
vaktum.h = to be described
kena = by whom
shakyate = is capable
prapaJNchchaH = the phenomenal world
yadi = if
vaktavyaH = to be spoken
saH = that
api = even
shabdavivarjitaH = devoid of words

Who can describe That whence words turn away? If the
phenomenal world were to be described even that is beyond words.

iti vaa tadbhavenmauna.n sataa.n sahajasaGYitam.h .
giraa mauna.n tu baalaanaaM prayuktaM brahmavaadibhiH .. 109..

iti = this
vaa = or
tat.h = that
bhavet.h = is
maunam.h = silence
sataam.h = among the sages
sahajasaGYitam.h = called inherent
giraa = by speech
maunam.h = silence
tu = indeed
baalaanam.h = for children
prayuktam.h = ordained
brahmavaadibhiH = by the Teachers of Brahman

This, to give an alternate definition, may also be termed
silence known among the sages as inherent. The observance of
silence by restraining speech, on the other hand, is ordained
by the teachers of Brahman for the ignorant.