software for Truedoc .pfr files?

Mon May 3 17:35:35 CDT 1999

Sorry for this slightly off-topic post but I have a request to make of
list members.  On the website (http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/) I intend
to put up some Sanskrit texts, stotras etc.  With modern browser
technology you can have text appear in HTML directly in Devanagari.
Unfortunately the two major browsers do it in different ways.  Microsoft
uses a technology called OpenType which I have software for but Netscape
uses something called TrueDoc for which the only software I've been able
to find has been to expensive for me to justify purchasing given that I'd
only be using it a couple of times.  So if you have such software, could I
send you a couple of fonts to convert?

Oh, and if you do have IE4 or greater, take a look at
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/texts/totakashtaka.html to see what I'm
talking about.

>From  Mon May  3 16:58:33 1999
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 16:58:33 -0500
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: Parisi & Watson <niche at AMERITECH.NET>
Subject: Re: Experience and Knowledge

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
<snip>
> Mimamsa.  Even the influence of Tantra shows what esteem language has been
> held in.  Far from being an obscuring veil over reality, it is in fact the
> _only_ method for apprehending reality.  It is far superior to experience.
<snip>

Are you really saying that reading about or being told about Brahman is
superior to actual experience? I must misunderstand your meaning since,
in that case, what would be the point of spiritual practice? We could
just read the Upanishads, attend lectures, and let it go with that. As I
say, I'm sure I misunderstand.

Robert.