AchArya

Chelluri at AOL.COM Chelluri at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 14 19:26:06 CST 1999

                                                    om
Quesion

Does he expect antthing in return that is beneficial and material?

                                                                  nagy

>From ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU Mon Mar 15 17:53:05 1999
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:53:05 -0500
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM>
Subject: Re: Ramakrishna and Vivekananda
Comments: To: Ashish Chandra <achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM>
Comments: cc: ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> It is exactly this kind of attitude that
> Vivekananda had met with in Varanasi where he had sworn that "he would not
> return to the city unless he made its society follow him like a dog". And
> he did.

I simply said that Vivekanand was a marginal figure.  Is that historically
incorrect given what you yourself have just described?

Leaving aside for a moment the question why a supposedly saintly person
would want people to follow him like dogs, answer me a question.  I've
answered some for you so you owe me one right?

Why do you suppose the Pandits of Kashi gave Vivekanand such a cold
shoulder?

The other thing I said was in response to your observation about the
"mysteries" of Maya.  Often times what seems mysterious and perplexing at
first turns out to be crystal clear.  It depends on the knowledge one has
at ones disposal.  As Vedanta is a body of knowledge just like any other,
the same principle applies.  If some people come to an understanding of
Vedanta through the works of Vivekananda then that's great!  But if he is
to get credit for those people then he must also take the blame for all
those people who've gotten confused or just plain remained ignorant
because of his teachings.  Sadly the second group seems to be bigger than
the first.  But whether they stay that way or do something about it is
entirely up to them.