vishNu sahasranAma

Ravi miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 8 13:38:25 CDT 1999

--- Vaidya Sundaram <Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM> wrote:

> who is omnipresent (vishnu), who has the colour of the moon (sashi
> varnam), foru

Are there any references which link shashi varNam (white color) with
shrIman nArAyaNa? Is not His color referred to as megha varNam?  DhyAna
shloka-s in sahasranAmam points to this. Also it refers to Him wearing
pItAmbaram.

>  Usually a lot of people also say the following mantra right after
> the first:
> yasya dviradavaktraadyaaH paariShadyaaH paraH shatam .
> vighnaM nighnanti satataM viShvakasenaM tamaashraye
>  Here you are praying to vishvaksena to remove obstacles. It is
> Mahavishnu who
> is usually associated with vishvaksena.

I was under the impression that it was a shrIvaiShNava prayer. Please
correct me if I am wrong. Do smArta-s also use this?

Thank you.

Ravi