REQUEST TO SCHOLARS

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 3 09:43:21 CDT 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999 04:09:30 +0530, MS Suresh <celeste1 at VSNL.COM> wrote:

>I request the learned scholars in this list to kindly
>enlighten me, if within their knowledge and possibility, on
>the "SAMPOORNA HAMSA GAAYATHRI MANTHRA JAPA VIDHI". I would
>be grateful to receive a "CORRECT AND UN-MIS-INTERPRETED"
>text, provided this type of exchange does not cause
>'uncontrolled' deviation of the mis-nomered subject of this
>list - advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara.
>
>MS Suresh

  I consider myself a student of the Vedas, not a scholar,
  but I have this to say.
  The Hamsa Gayatri is recited as part of the MahannyAsa
  mantras which are usually chanted before the Shri Rudram-
  Chamakam. The MahannyAsam  is a glorious experience both to
  chant and listen to, including in itself the famous "Shiva-sankalpa"
  hymn. The significance of "Hamsa" is by the fact that
  it is related to "so'ham", I am He, indicating the equivalence
  of jIva and Brahman or Self. One who recites the haMsa mantra
  ("haMsa haMsa") becomes indeed the HaMsa sadAshiva Himself,
  ("haMsahaMseti yo brUyAt.h haMso nAma sadAshivaH").
  Also, Hamsa stands for a swan or a sage. And "paramahaMsa" would be
  a sage or monk of the highest order.

 deho devAlayaH prokto jIvo devassanAtanaH |
 tyejedaGYAnanirmAlyaM so .ahaMbhAvena pUjayet.h ||

  The body is said to be the temple, the individual soul is identical
  to the eternal God. One should give up aGYAna (ignorance), as remains
  of the offering to God, and should worship (God) with the feeling
  "I am He."

 And,
 haMso haMsaH paramahaMsaH |
 haMsasso .ahaM so .ahaM haMsaH ||

  It is much better to learn GAyatrI Japas directly from a qualified
  person rather than through an (indirect) medium such as e-mail.
  I will plan to write something about the MahannyAsam after I
  have covered the Rudram-Chamakam. I would be grateful if someone
  finds an original commentary on the MahannyAsam for me.

 Anand