Vedic Religion

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Sat Jul 31 16:50:12 CDT 1999

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> >From the above we can gauge two things. All bhAshyakaras till Ramanuja
> maintained that the pA.ncarAtra was unvedic. Not only that, even that
> pA.ncarAtra philosophy has no connection with the vishishhTAdvaitic

I'm no authority on the Pancharatra, much less on Vishishtadvaita, but
just a couple of remarks here.  It seems unfair to accuse Ramanuja of
having elevated "unvedic" texts as part of an [allegedly] Vedic
tradition, when said texts have been lauded greatly in the
Mahabharata, and also in the Yajur Veda, which is the putative
"earliest" source of the world `paJNcharAtrA' itself (cf. Schrader,
F.O., `Introduction to Pancharatra and the Ahirbudhnya Samhita').  The
accusation that the Pancharatra contains nonsense such as creation of
jIva-s, and also criticism of Vedas, has been dealt with by Ramanuja's
predecessor Yamuna (cf. Varadachari, V., `Agamas and South Indian
Vaishnavism'), who observes that (i) the Pancharatra text where the
"creation of jIva-s" theory is apparently found itself repudiates that
theory in another location, showing that such is not its intent; and
(ii) _apparently_ nonsensical statements are not wanting in other
accepted texts; and finally (iii) apparent criticism of the Vedas is
also to be found in the Bhagavad Gita, the Upanishads, and in some
cases in the Vedas themselves.  Of course, these arguments of Yamuna
may have been refuted, but I'm not aware that they were.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao