Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism

Elizabeth Lisot Parvatijai at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 27 10:05:09 CDT 1999

In a message dated 7/24/1999 10:02:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
ramakris at EROLS.COM writes:

<< "Early Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism (The Mahayana context of the
 > Gaudapadiya-karika)" published by State University of New York
 Press, 1995,
 > by Richard King, professor of Religious Studies, Scotland.

 Sorry to disagree, but this is not a good book on this subject. The
 author misrepresents the gauDapAda kArikA-s and the shA.nkara bhAshhya
 on it in many places. A true characterization of both is achieved by
 Swami Satchidanandendra Sarawati in his "shuddha shA.nkara prakriyA
 bhAskara". I have also given a reference before to R. D. Karmarkars
 book which is a good book on this subject, although not as good as the
 one mentioned above.

 Rama

Namaste Rama,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of this book and suggesting better
sources for questions concerning comparing these traditions. I am curious,
are you in disagreement with the premise that pre-Shankara Advaita Vedanta
adopted some ideologies from Buddhism? or do you simply feel that Dr. King
has mistranslated or mis-represented some aspects of the advaita texts?

Also would you kindly give the name of the publisher of Swami
Satchidanandendra Sarawati's book. (R. D. Karmarkars' book , 1953, is cited
in Dr. King's book as an example of an orthodox Vedantic commentary, but
lacking as a neutral investigation of the exchange between Buddhism and early
Advaita. Saraswati's book is not cited, does he investigate the relationship
between Mahayana Buddhism and the Gaudapadiya-karika? or simply translate and
comment on the latter text?)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this interesting topic,

Jai Ma,
Parvati