Nature of Consciousness

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Sat Jul 24 10:00:57 CDT 1999

Elizabeth Lisot <Parvatijai at AOL.COM> wrote:

> "Early Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism (The Mahayana context of the
> Gaudapadiya-karika)" published by State University of New York
Press, 1995,
> by Richard King, professor of Religious Studies, Scotland.

Sorry to disagree, but this is not a good book on this subject. The
author misrepresents the gauDapAda kArikA-s and the shA.nkara bhAshhya
on it in many places. A true characterization of both is achieved by
Swami Satchidanandendra Sarawati in his "shuddha shA.nkara prakriyA
bhAskara". I have also given a reference before to R. D. Karmarkars
book which is a good book on this subject, although not as good as the
one mentioned above.

Rama