SAmkhya and VedAnta

Sun Feb 21 09:43:18 CST 1999

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> I think Jaladhar, that the realization of Truth, as was pointed out by Harsha, was
> in reference to realization of the Self, and not merely through trying to find out
> the best and truest categorization of an event. I further think that it is not even
> the power of intellect but only the realization of Self that can really dispel
> ignorance. Before one does that, isn't everything to be considered Avidya ? Does
> rigorous analysis fit in then ?

We hear people talking about "realization of the self".  What is it that
they're talking about?  How can we "achieve" this if we can't even
determine what it is?  As Human beings, we are bound by names, forms,and
events.  Intellect is the only tool we have available to us.  Perhaps the
Devas or some advanced race of aliens have a better way but it doesn't do
us the slightest bit of good.  Thus Vedanta as a method of sadhana tries
to employ our talents (as meager as they may be) to the fullest degree
possible to clarify our understanding of the true nature of things.

As for the ultimate, let's cross that bridge when we get to it.