saguNa and nirguNa are the same

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Dec 17 10:00:49 CST 1999

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> I have been wondering whether to even take part in this discussion
> anymore.

Me too. But this posting of mine has become necessary.

[..]

> You are telling me that whatever *I* have said is obvious and then
> paraphrase what *I* said, and adopt a supercilious tone and have the
> unmitigated crust to claim that's what  Anand told me?!!

Look, at first I honestly didn't understand what you meant by saying
"shruti is directly opposed to avidyaa". I shall take time to explain why.

You said:
----------------------------------
It wouldn't make any sense to claim that upAsana which springs
from avidyA and which is not directly opposed to it, will
counteract avidyA.

[deleted]

All means of knowing, ***including shruti***, are within the sphere of
avidyA only. The difference, however is, that GYAna sublates avidyA like
how a dream of an unreal tiger can wake one up, since GYAna is
*directly opposed* to avidyA.

So you're trying to say that

1) saguNopAsana CANNOT sublate avidyaa since it is not "directly opposed"
   to it.
2) shruti CAN sublate avidyaa as it is "directly opposed" to it as in
   tiger-in-the-dream analogy.

This is your posting from the archives: