Meaning of Kaul

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 11:04:38 CST 1999

Jaladhar writes :

>>Well that depends on what you mean by Samkhya.  Most modern treatments of
>>Samkhya even in Sanskrit describe an "Advaitized" form of Samkhya such as
>>Vijnanabhikshus type.

Though VijnAnabhikshu tries to reconcile the differences between
SAmkhya and VedAnta, he is hardly in favour of Advaitam. According
to him only the theistic VedAnta is the the true VedAnta and Advaitam
is a modern falsification. He infact goes to the extent of claiming
that not a  single Brahma SUtram states that knowledge is the cause
of liberation. Aside from works on SAmkhya and Yoga he's also authored a
commentary on the Brahma SUtram - it's called VijnAnAmrta. (Ofcourse
by advocating the bhakti path, he's unfaithful to even the classical
SAmkhya tradition of Ishvara Krishna, GaudapAda, Aniruddha et al, which
advocates knowledge as the means to liberation).

>>If you mean "classical" Samkhya such as the type Shankaracharya argues
>>against in the Amshadhikarana, it takes the same basis as Advaita Vedanta
>>but comes to startlingly different conclusions.

Though SAmkhya differs from Advaitam in its concept of the world, which it
states as dual - prAkriti and innumerable Purushas - as against the single
Brahman of Advaitam - still its vision of reality - the liberated Purusha is
not very different from the ParamArtika level in Advaitam.

For both, Reality is the Self - Purusha or Brahman - the changeless eternal.

Both consider liberation to be only phenomenal ie we're already liberated
but only due to ignorance do we get deluded into thinking that we're in
bondage.

For both, reality is of the nature of pure consciousness. But again for
SAmkhya it's just consciousness, not bliss as advocated by Advaitam.

Both give similar accounts of superimposition theories to account for
the mechanism of knowledge with an unaffected Self underlying the
changing individual existance.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.