Differences between Vedantic schools

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Tue Aug 31 13:11:38 CDT 1999

Jaldhar Vyas wrote:

> Note even if it should somehow be proved that the Advaita view on karma is
> wrong, it doesn't mean the dvaita view is right.

Never made such an inference.  However, my main point still is that if
you want to talk about the Advaitic view of karma, or anything else
for that matter, it is absolutely necessary to look at the primary
sources in detail.  You have quoted some fables re Vachaspati,
Appayya, etc., as well as given some translations of Gita verses, but
I regret to say that in my mind this does not approach the threshold
of serious Advaita.

> > much real Advaita here except for occasional material from Anand H. and
> > Vidyasankar.
> >

> Are you refering to the the recent discussion about the Vedas?  If there

Not in particular, no, although I do feel that the recent discussion
about the Vedas' lack of authoredness would have benefited greatly if
someone had taken the trouble to look at the first six or so pages (in
the Max Mueller edition) of Sayana's comm. on the Rg Veda, and the
shaN^kara-bhAshhya and subcommentaries on `ata eva cha nityatvam.h'.
The gentleman may not have been convinced, but he would certainly have
thought Advaita a lot less dogmatic on this critical issue.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org