Differences between Vedantic schools

Wed Aug 25 09:39:58 CDT 1999

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Shrisha Rao wrote:

> Jaldhar Vyas wrote:
>
> > stage.  Advaitins are Ekadandins and give up the shikha, yagnopavit etc.
> > to signify that karma is incompatible with jnana.  Shrisha, please
> > explain: As the Dvaitins are also ekadandins, do they follow this and if
> > not, why not?
>
> I'm not sure I follow the question, but yes, sannyAsI-s in the Maadhva
> tradition also do not wear the yaj~nopavIta, perform sandhyA, etc.,
> but the significance in that case is obviously not stated to be the
> incompatibility of karma and j~nAna, but merely that the duties of
> those in the final Ashrama are different from those of the first three.

This is clearly wrong. Nityakarmas are enjoined for life.  On the basis of
Shrutivakyas such as "aharaharasandhyamupaset" (Shatapatha Brahmana) our
sages have determined nityakarma cannot be given up.  Vishishtadvaitins
acknowledge this and their sannyasis continue with nityakarma.
Advaitins, as was mentioned, believe this only applies to people who think
"I am the doer."  which (ideally) sannyasis are not.  You can make a case
for either of these views from the shastras but not the one you mention
above.