adhyAropa-apavAdAbhyAM nishprapancam prapancyate -

Guy Werlings guy.werlings at WANADOO.FR
Wed Sep 16 07:08:02 CDT 1998

Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> This sentence is found in the bhagavad gItA bhAshya 13. 13. as Subhanu
> quoted, a few days ago. The paingala upanishad, which if I remember right,
> has been quoted in SankarAcArya's brahmasUtra bhAshya, also mentions
> adhyAropa - apavAda. However, I do not remember whether it has it in the
> form of the sentence, adhyAropa-apavAdAbhyAM nishprapancam prapancyate. If
> someone has access to Radhakrishnan's "The Principal Upanishads" please do
> check if the paingala upanishad has the same sentence. I would be very
> grateful for the information.
>
> Thanks,
> Vidyasankar

namaste !
I have not found exactly your quotation, but the 12th and last mantra
of the Paingalopanishad in Radhakrishnan's "The Principal Upanishads"
runs as follows :

 tadA sad-gurum ASritya cira-kAla-sevayA bandham moksham kaScit
prayAti.avicArakRto bandho vicArAn moksho bhavati ; tasmAt sadA
vicArayet. adhyAropApavAdataha svArUpam niScayIkartum Sakyate. tasmAt
sadA vicArayej-jagaj-jIva-paramAtmano jIva-bhAva-jagad-bhAva-bAdhe
pratyag abhinnam brahmaivAvaSishyata iti.
Pai. U. II.12

And Radhakrishnan comments : The way of superposition and denial is
developed by Shankara in his Introduction to S.B.

Hope this can be of help you and that I made no error in the
transliteration. If you have any doubt, don't hesitate to ask me to
check once more.

Regards

Guy