Article: A vedanta toolkit part 2

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Sat Sep 12 01:13:27 CDT 1998

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Subhanu Saxena wrote:

Re: adhyAropa-apavAda, in gItA bhAshya, 13. 13-14:

> "tathA hi sampradAyavidAm vachanam 'adhyAropa-apavAdAbhyAm,
> nishprapancham prapanchyate' ", translated into English as "so say the
> followers of the tradition 'that which is beyond all manifestations is
> made manifest by the method of deliberate superimposition and recission'

Has the source of this quote been identified? In another work,
SankarAcArya uses the word sampradAyavit to refer to his paramaguru,
gauDapAda. However, I can't recollect that the adhyAropApavAdAbhyAm
nishprapancham prapanchyate half verse occurs in the gauDapAda kArikAs. If
the source of this quote is identified, it may provide another small clue
to vedAnta in pre-Sankaran times.

Vidyasankar